BBC Journalism Trainee Scheme
The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), the largest and most reputable UK-based broadcaster and publisher in London, is offering a 10-month journalism trainee scheme in any of the BBC's national or regional news centres across the UK: England, Scotland and Wales.
- be fascinated by news and current affairs and have a hunger to understand the world and get to the facts;
- be involved in student media, writing articles for a local newspaper or website, working at a radio station, blogging or vlogging or creating great social media content;
- have an understanding of audiences and how to reach them, including people who might not normally consume news;
- be a graduate or already have some solid skills and knowledge in journalism from previous experience;
- be 18 or over by the time the scheme starts in the autumn.
The Journalism Trainee Scheme placements for this year are:
- London, Salford or Cardiff (English language);
- Cardiff (Welsh language)
- Orkney or Shetland (Scotland).
Applicants can state their preference on the application form.
Selected applicants receive
- 10-month contract with a £21,216 salary per year. For those based in London, the salary is £25,776 per year;
- travel and some food and accommodation expenses are covered during training periods;
- training by specialists and senior BBC journalists and mentor to support and guide the candidate during the training;
- chance to work on placements within BBC News and Current Affairs across radio, television, digital and online;
- a mentor to support and guide applicants during their training.
How to apply
- Deadline for applications: 1st March 2020. All applications will be reviewed after this date. The application form consists of a few questions for you to tell them why you think you're right for this scheme and a video assessment.
- Follow up questionnaire: If you are successful you will be invited to complete a follow up questionnaire. Full information will be sent to you by 13th March. You will have approximately 1 ½ weeks to complete this.
- Assessment Centre: If you are successful after the follow up questionnaire, you will be invited to an assessment centre. These assessment centres take place in May. You will hear at least one week before the assessment day whether you have been successful.
Deadline to apply: 1 March 2020.
To find out more, visit the BBC's Journalism Trainee Scheme webpage.