young man writing on a white board

Interested in working in the UK? Check out our suggestions below and start your career here! 


Universal Jobmatch 

This is a free UK Government backed service that enables you to search for and apply for jobs on one of the largest job search websites in Europe. You don’t need an account to be able to search for jobs, but if you register with Universal Jobmatch you will be able to:

  • Create a profile. This will help match you to job opportunities and help you use the ‘CV Builder’ to create a CV
  • Build or upload up to five CVs and cover letters which you can use to apply for jobs 
  • Create a searchable, public CV that can allow employers to invite you to apply, without revealing your identity or personal details to the employer
  • Create and save job searches. You can request daily or weekly email updates to alert you to new jobs that match your saved job searches

Popular job portals in the UK

There are a range of job search sites that are widely used in the UK by both jobseekers and employers looking to recruit. Here are a few of the most popular:


The purpose of EURES is to provide information, advice and recruitment/placement (job-matching) services for the benefit of workers and employers as well as any citizen wishing to benefit from the principle of the free movement of persons. 

Other than a Job Mobility Portal, it has a human network of more than 850 advisers who are in daily contact with jobseeker and employers across Europe. You can also find specific information on living and working in the UK. 

Careers Services

There are a number of careers services across the UK designed to provide information, advice and guidance to help you find the right career for you. They may provide practical tools, pathways guidance or the opportunity to speak to a careers advisor. Here are a few useful examples:


Ready to hit the job market but not much experience? Get started with a traineeship or internship to learn the necessary skills. 

Graduate Talent Pool

Graduate Talent Pool is a UK government initiative designed to help new and recent graduates gain real work experience through a paid graduate internship.

Placement UK

A free service providing students with paid placement opportunities in the UK. Placements are available for both graduates and undergraduates.


Erasmus Intern provides a place where companies and organisations can publish their internship offers and search for interns, and where students that want to do an internship abroad can share their profiles, and search and apply for internship vacancies.

IAESTE placements for non-UK students

The International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience (IAESTE) offers undergraduate students the opportunity to gain valuable work experience in another country. If you want to gain technical experience in the UK through IAESTE, contact your country coordinator for details on the application process in your country. Country contact details can be found on the IAESTE map.

Eurasmus internships & placements

A platform connecting individuals with companies, and helping students apply online for international placements, including the UK.


This platform provides graduate jobs and internships abroad to globalise your CV.



You may want to think about an Apprenticeship as another route to work in the UK. The UCAS website provides information on everything you need to know about UK apprenticeships.

The UK government apprenticeship website also provides information on finding an apprenticeship in England, as well as signposting you to apprenticeship platforms for the rest of the UK.


You might be also interested in information about registering your own business


Top tip: In the UK it is not common practice to include a photo of yourself on your CV. You also should not include your age, date of birth or marital status as these are protected characteristics under the Equalities Act 2010.


What is Europass? Five documents to make your skills and qualifications clearly and easily understood in Europe:

Two documents freely accessible, completed by European citizens:

  • the Curriculum Vitae helps you present your skills and qualifications effectively and clearly. You can create your CV online using tutorials or download the template, examples and instructions;
  • the Language Passport is a self-assessment tool for language skills and qualifications. You can create your Language Passport online using tutorials or download the template, examples and instructions.

Three documents issued by education and training authorities:

  • the Europass Mobility records the knowledge and skills acquired in another European country;
  • the Certificate Supplement describes the knowledge and skills acquired by holders of vocational education and training certificates;
  • the Diploma Suplement describes the courses and qualifications acquired by holders of higher education certificates.


YouRock is a free, multi-language, employability networking tool designed to support young people in their search for employment. It helps users to:

  • Identify their professional work skills;
  • Build a dynamic profile showing their primary skill groups;
  • Create a portfolio of online content showing their skills.

It helps employers to:

  • Identify proactive new employees with specific skills;
  • See international candidates in any of the system languages.

Tools like these are excellent for taking stock of what you’re good at. You may think you have great communication skills, but do you have any experience to back that up? Maybe you didn’t realise that your Saturday night sewing club projects are helping you to develop organisational skills. YouRock can help you phrase your hobbies, interests and personality traits in an employer-friendly way. You’ll be ticking interview boxes in no time!


Visa advice page from UK government

If you are thinking about coming to the UK, this website will help you to check if you would need a visa.

European Immigration portal website

If you are moving to the EU then this website is a good starting point. You can find information based on your profile, check if you need a visa, what you need before leaving and what to avoid.

Your Europe

This site provides information on the rights of EU citizens. If you have any questions about travel, work & retirement, vehicles, residence formalities, education & youth, health, family or consumers, Your Europe is the place to go. 


UK NARIC is the National Agency responsible for providing information, advice and opinion on vocational, academic and professional skills and qualifications from all over the world. As the National Agency, managed on behalf of the UK Government, they provide the only official source of information on international education and training systems and wide-ranging international qualifications and skills attained from outside the UK.  


The National Contact Point for Professional Qualifications in the UK (UK NCP) is the UK Contact Point for recognition of Professional Qualifications. The UK NCP will be able to help guide you through the process of obtaining recognition of your professional qualifications. The UK NCP does this by providing you with the contact details of the appropriate Competent Authority in the UK and in Europe, as well as providing clarity on the regulations surrounding your profession in the UK.